Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Sommer's Sweet Potato Bake

My friend Sommer taught me a lot. Things about Kwanzaa, soul food, etc. So when I made this recipe for our work Christmas party that year, I was quite flattered she enjoyed it so much! This girl knows good homecookin'! So I have renamed it, I am sure Paula Deen won't mind, and just in time for Thanksgiving tomorrow...

Sommer's Sweet Potato Bake (*For Kwanzaa)
The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook

  • 3 cups peeled, cooked, and mashed sweet potatoes
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, half and half, or whole milk

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix all ingredients together except for cream. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add cream; mix well. Pour into greased casserole dish. Add topping. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Topping Ingredients
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted

Mix together with fork; sprinkle over top of casserole before baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment