Roasted Tomatoes with Basil
Back to Basics
The Barefoot Contessa
- 12 plum/Roma tomatoes halved lengthwise, seeds removed but core in tact. (You can use any number of tomatoes here)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar (Don't worry, I know this seems odd)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 large fresh basil leaves, julienned (Didn't have these on hand so I used dried basil, no problem)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
(Spray your baking sheet with non-stick spray or you will have some casualties here) Arrange the tomatoes on a sheet pan, cut sides up, in a single layer. Drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until the tomatoes start to caramelize and the flavors are concentrated. Sprinkle the basil on top and serve warm or at room temperature.