Thursday, January 13, 2011

Foundations

It's 2011. Are you doing what you thought you would be doing? Are you who you thought you would be? Identity is such a fluid thing in my mind and I am constantly morphing (stretching required) myself into the best version of myself. The best wife, mom, sister, daughter, friend, and person that I can be. At times, it's overwhelming thinking about self-improvement. I don't really care for self-improvement actually, I prefer growth. Growth and vision.

My vision for 2011 is one of balance. Balance, positive self talk, and movement with purpose. I continue to be blessed in my life in all areas and hope to pay that forward in 2011. In order to pay anything forward I think I have to pay it first to my husband and sons. This year, I'm working on bringing some "vintage" ideals back. They are simple and you may laugh, but I think they are keys to building a foundation worthy of great men. A great family.

Things like efficiently relaxed mornings on school days, homemade after school snacks, multiple hours outside exploring our world, and the return of SUNDAY FAMILY DINNERS. Growing up, Sunday was a special day because it was my Dad's only day off. Whatever we did on Sundays, we did together as a family. My extended family is just HUGE since my Dad is one of eleven kids and every Sunday there were extra people around my Grandma's table for dinner. That's what I'm talking about. Now, since we operate the family's satellite location here in Texas, they don't come over too often on Sundays. But, we have been abundantly blessed with wonderful friends here and that is who we call Texas Family. They are the faces I long to see on Sunday around my table. In 2011, starting this Sunday, I plan on having at least 2 Sunday dinners a month at my house. Come as you are, bring something, and enjoy. This weekend we will have Chicken and Dumplings, and most likely, pie. Because with growing boys in this house, what sticks better to your bones than that stuff?

Just like I always say, it's one thing at a time. It's Thursday, I know what I am making Sunday, and that's good. No guarantee next week will be this way but it's a start. It's a little sad family dinners have gone by the wayside. And while I don't believe it's realistic to have family dinner 7 nights a week, shooting for a couple nights together is do-able. So, pick a favorite recipe, gather your family and friends and look forward to Sunday afternoon. It's time to relax, recharge, and reconnect before Monday comes again!

No comments:

Post a Comment