Monday, October 18, 2010

"Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I'm gonna kick you 'til you're dead!"

Moonstruck is one of my favorite movies. Yes, yes, I know Cher is the star and it featured Nicolas Cage circa Raising Arizona which is not good for anyone, but I love it. I do. One subject you'll hear me come back to time and time again is how I have had a longing, since I was young, to be Italian. Some kids want to be astronauts, some firefighters, but I wanted to be Italian. It's not something you can really strive for. But Lord knows I tried. There doesn't seem to be a resolution in my near future, so for the interim, I am hoping to be a damn good Italian cook.

Loretta Castorini (Olympia Dukakis) makes wicked-good food in Moonstruck. There is one scene in particular where she is cooking breakfast and every time I watch it, I have to pause the movie, and go make what she is making! Or a version thereof. I have to plan accordingly, it's not a movie I can watch hungry! So, throw in Moonstruck, make this dish, and enjoy a bottle of good champagne with a cube of sugar in your flute. (*Watch, you'll see.)

"I have a feeling this is going to be just delicious." - Ronny Cammareri (Nicolas Cage)

Eggs in Purgatory
The Sopranos Family Cookbook

  • 1 garlic clove
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cups canned tomato puree
  • 4 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces (or a pinch of dried oregano)
  • salt & freshly ground pepper
  • 8 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon parmigiano-reggiano

In medium skillet, cook garlic in oil over medium heat for two minutes or until lightly golden. Add tomatoes, basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes until sauce is thickened. Discard garlic.

Break an egg into a small cup. With a spoon, make a well in the sauce and slide the egg into sauce. Continue with remaining eggs. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook for 3 minutes or until eggs are done to taste. Serve hot with crusty bread.

**In the movie, she cooks the eggs directly in bread on her griddle, but this recipe is excellent. You can make it for brunch or dinner!


No comments:

Post a Comment