This recipe is super easy and wonderful for a Sunday afternoon family dinner or to drop of with your favorite new mom and baby. Thank you Ina Garten for yet another scrumptious dinner... yum!
Mac & Cheese
Barefoot Contessa (*A few Austin changes)
- Vegetable oil
- 1lb your favorite small pasta (spirals, cavatappi, etc)
- 1 qt whole milk
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 12 ounces (4 cups) Gruyere cheese, grated (this is super expensive cheese, feel free to select another cheese or a mixture of cheeses)
- 8 ounces (2 cups) extra sharp Cheddar, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 pound fresh tomatoes (4 small)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)
Preheat oven to 375.
Drizzle oil into large pot of salted water. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain.
Meanwhile, heat the milk in a saucepan, do not boil it. Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large pot and add flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, whisking. While whisking, add hot milk and cook for a couple of minutes until thickened and smooth. Take off heat and add cheeses, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add cooked pasta and stir. Pour into 3 quart baking dish.
Slice tomatoes and arrange on top. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine them with the bread crumbs, and sprinkle on top. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and pasta is browned on top.