Monday, August 22, 2011

Pantry Follow-Up

Well hello world! First day back to school for my now 1st GRADER!!! WHAT?!?! And last week was full of end of summer fun and PTA prep work. Good times but busy busy just like the rest of you I am sure.

I wanted to follow up and let you know the outcome of my challenge. I made it one week. That's right, one. I guess I over estimated what we had in our freezer and pantry, ha ha ha! The good news about it is that I used almost everything I had! A couple creative hodge podge ideas and meals but now, after shopping, I know exactly what is in there and what I have to use.

I am interested in who else has tried this and what you discovered? One website I think is great to find quick recipes searching by ingredients is www.allrecipes.com. I wanted to share two things with you that I have not made before but did with this challenge. Enjoy!

Item I needed to use: Lucky Leaf Peach Pie Filling
Recipe: Peach Coffee Cake
Source: www.luckyleaf.com



  • 2 1/2 cups sifted flour

  • 1 cup brown sugar

  • 3/4 cup butter (softened but not melted)

  • 2 eggs separated

  • 1 cup milk

  • 1/2 t salt

  • 1/2 t cinnamon

  • 2 1/4t baking powder

  • 1 can (21oz) Lucky Leaf Peach Pie Filling

Mix flour, sugar, and butter. (*The mixture should be lumpy when you pull the cup out for topping and then you can mix the rest up so it's smoother.) Reserve one cup of mixture for topping. Mix egg yolks with milk and add to remainder of flour mixture (the smooth one). Add salt, cinnamon, and baking powder, and mix until very smooth. Gently fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Pour into grease 9x13 glass baking dish. Put pie filling evenly over top. Sprinkle with crumb mixture. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.


Item I needed to use: 2 cans Garbanzo Beans
Recipe: Hummus
Source: Adapted from Hummus III on www.allrecipes.com



  • 2 cups can Garbanzo beans, drained

  • 1/3 cup toasted sesame oil

  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (*you can add a little more, I love lemony things)

  • 1 t salt

  • 2 garlic cloves halved

  • 2 T olive oil

  • 1 pinch paprika (for serving)

Place all ingredients in food processor. Blend baby blend. And VOILA! Fabulous homemade hummus!!! Serve with veggies, pita bread, or a yummy spoon full!


So there you go. A couple newbies from the challenge. The challenge that proved I have no concept of time or supplies. All the more reason I can't go camping. That's an entirely different post. Maybe two.



No comments:

Post a Comment