Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Man Crepes

Mad Hungry
Feeding Men & Boys
Lucinda Scala Quinn

I love when you are surprised by a recipe. Surprised by how easy it is, how it turns out just like the picture, and how my boys gobble it up! Yay! I am always on the lookout for new breakfast items. Raised in a house where hot breakfast was a staple, I gave my mother hell every morning because, to be honest, I just wasn't hungry yet. An hour later, I would've been but school just doesn't allow for breakfast hour flexibility.

I don't offer cold cereal in the morning to my boys because I want something "that sticks with them". I also enjoy being in the kitchen in the morning and the smell that fills my home as Dominic heads out the door. We do a lot of pancakes and the like, so when I came across these MAN CREPES, I was curious. We had them Monday to celebrate the first day of 1st grade and they were a hit! I had batter leftover yesterday and so I made more crepes for the moms in our playgroup. With the boys, they enjoyed them plain with butter and powdered sugar and then the next day filled with fresh strawberries. For the mommies, I served them with Nutella and peanut butter.

It's been years since I was in Paris watching my sister create a diet solely from street vendors making crepes, but this recipe is so easy and smells so wonderful, you can't help but feel like saying Bonjour!


Man Crepes





  • 3/4 c flour


  • 1/2 t coarse salt


  • 1 t baking powder


  • 3 large eggs


  • 2/3 c milk


  • 1/3c water


  • 1/2 t vanilla


  • butter for frying and serving


Place the flour, salt, baking powder, eggs, milk, water, and vanilla in a blender and blend until completely combined and the consistency of heavy cream. The batter can be refrigerated up to one day in advance.



Heat a 6 inch skillet or crepe pan until very hot to the touch but not smoking. Swirl around enough butter to coat the pan. Gently and slowly pour a 3-4 tablespoon portion of batter, immediately swirling to cover the entire bottom of the pan in as thin a layer as possible. When the edges begin to turn golden and pull away from the pan, use a spatula to lift and flip the crepe. Cook until it is just set, about 30 seconds. Serve immediately and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment