It's important to be flexible during Pantry time and it's important to have fun easy things to throw together for friends and family. Today, I have two random additions, I hope you like!!
Pantry Chicken (*Namely because I'm that creative to call it this during my new endeavor)
- Chicken of any kind, I used three of those GIANT frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts that come 50 to a pack at Costco or the like. You could use any piece of chicken you like but maybe frozen will work better in the crock pot?
- Large jar of your favorite salsa, I used a garlic type.
- 1-2 cans of Black Beans, drained.
Combine chicken, salsa, and black beans in crockpot. Cook on low all day. Voila! Dinner! Combine with rice and wrap in some tortillas, throw over salad mix for taco salad night, or stand in the kitchen and eat it plain with a fork since it's too dang hot to do anything else!!
And now for a sweet treat easy to make and the kind that makes your dieting friends feel like they can participate... a little. *Wink wink.
- Pound cake. I made my own but for the sake of easy, let's say you grab a Sarah Lee's pound cake from your grocer. I mean that girl never overcooks her pound cake.
- Fresh Strawberries
- Fresh Whipped Cream (*This is crucial, it's just so much better)
Slice pound cake into 1 1/2 to 2 inch cubes (no measuring please). Slice strawberries into quarters. Prepare whipped cream with whipping cream, vanilla, and sugar in your stand mixer or with a hand mixer. Dip strawberry quarters in sugar. Place dollop of whipped cream on pound cake, top with strawberry. There you go! Shortcake Bites!
Just a couple of ideas, inexpensive, yummy, and none that keep you over a hot stove for very long, if at all!