Monday, September 26, 2011

Flank Steak Face Off

I'm surfing the no carb wave and am always excited to prepare food I can enjoy WITH my family and friends rather than make two meals. Go figure. One tried and true recipe my parents always made was for Flank Steak and while at Sam's Club earlier in the week, I picked up some flank steak knowing we had friends coming for dinner Sunday night (dangerously close to the end of my son's lacrosse game). The package I purchased had twice as much meat in it as the recipe called for. Brave (and confident our friends are good enough friends I could try something new on them), I decided to make two flank steak recipes. The family favorite from Colorado Cache Cookbook and then a new one I invented right then and there! Here are the two recipes, which are SO easy you won't believe it.

Marinated Grilled Flank Steak
Colorado Cache Cookbook


  • juice of 1 lemon

  • 1/2 c soy sauce (I only had 1/4c)

  • 1/4c or more dry red wine (OF COURSE I had enough so I used 1/2c to adjust for less soy sauce)

  • 3T vegetable oil

  • 2T Worcestershire sauce

  • 1 large clove garlic sliced (I used 3 and coarsely chopped them)

  • pepper to taste

  • chopped green onion or chives (optional- I didn't have either)

  • chopped dill (optional- I used a pinch of dried dill)

  • celery seed (optional- I used a pinch)

  • 1 1/2lb flank steak

Combine all ingredients in a ziploc bag (use two). Marinate all day or overnight. Heat grill and cook 5-6 minutes per side for medium rare. Make sure to slice meat diagonal across the grain and serve.


Austin's Spicy Asian Flank Steak



  • 1/2c thai chili garlic paste

  • 1/4c rice vinegar

  • 1/4c olive oil

  • 1T ginger powder

  • 1 3/4T toasted sesame oil

  • 3 large cloves garlic chopped

Combine all ingredients in a ziploc bag (use two). Marinate all day or overnights. Heat grill and cook 5-6 minutes per side for medium rare. Make sure to slice meat diagonal across the grain and serve.


The consensus in our kitchen was the new recipe won. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!! Try them out and you let me know which one wins at your house!


No comments:

Post a Comment